Strawberry Ginger Ice Cream Bowls deliciously envelope garden fresh strawberries, ginger root, rum and ginger crisps, layered between scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Garden Fresh Strawberries
Ahhhh strawberries! You beautiful, ruby red, sweet juicy treasures that emerge from the dark sleeping earth of winter, first!
Several years ago I planted a few strawberry plants in a small area of my garden. I am always amazed that year after year they grow back and bring the sweetest announcement of summertime!
Sweet juicy strawberries are what we are after. Farmers Markets are a great place to buy perfectly sweet strawberries, or try your hand at a ‘You Pick’ farm for a true appreciation for strawberries.
What Is An Ice Cream Bowl?
Bowls of everything have become the new trend in eating. Piling all your favorite ingredients into a bowl, like the Buddha bowl. So then, let’s not forget a fabulous dessert bowl!
Ice cream is the inspiration for a great dessert bowl. Something creamy and cold on a hot summer day.
Layer that with fresh fruit, a fabulous drizzle and something that crunches and you’ve got summertime dessert bowls!
Ginger In An Ice Cream Bowl?
Of course a chocolate drizzle is an all time favorite on an ice cream bowl, but how about we bring a more creative, adult umami to these dessert bowls.
Rum? Oh yes, how about we start with a little rum. Okay, maybe this isn’t a kid friendly dessert but we adults need ‘our’ little treats now and then!
Macerating a few strawberries (or other fresh fruits like peaches, plums or other berries), for their sweet juice and the base for our drizzle.
To the macerated fruit, we add the bold kick of freshly grated ginger root, a sprinkle of sugar or honey and a little rum, and we’ve got a fabulous, adult drizzle for our ice cream bowls!
Triple Ginger Ice Cream Bowl
Overly sweet desserts, on a hot summer day, are not invited to my summertime meals, leave those for winter.
I want sweets that sing of summertime; like fresh fruits with plenty sweetness of their own, to build a dessert around.
Ginger, with its juicy yet almost peppery hot, spicy kick is the perfect counter ingredient to a summertime dessert; leaving the taste buds refreshed rather than heavy ladened.
For the texture, in this creamy dessert, we want a wafer thin ginger cookie (homemade or store bought), the spicier the better.
Disperse the smashed cookies throughout this ice cream bowl, along with the ginger rum drizzle for a sweet yet spicy umami flavor, and this strawberry ginger ice cream bowl will fast become your favorite!
How To Make An Ice Cream Bowl
Have your own homemade ice cream on hand? Great! My Rhubarb and Strawberry Homemade Ice Cream would make you want to skip dinner and just have this ice cream bowl instead.
Store bought is fast, but check the ingredients to make sure you are getting real ingredients in your ice cream.
Strawberry Ginger Bowls With Ice Cream
Firstly, we want the macerated strawberries to marinate with freshly grated ginger and rum. Undoubtedly, this will make for an intense ginger and strawberry flavor for the drizzle.
Having washed the sand and grit from the strawberries, we just need to trim the tops and cut into bite size pieces.
Following this step, we will want to smash the ginger crisps so that some become powdery, leaving some a bit chunky, for texture.
Lastly we assemble this luscious ‘no-bake’ dessert, perfect for refreshing treats anytime of year. Choosing a bowl of your choice, place small scoops of ice cream in each bowl.
Follow this step with a sprinkle of crushed ginger cookies, a spoonful of strawberries, a spoon of strawberry ginger rum drizzle, until the bowl is perfectly appointed, placing a slice of strawberry on top!
- Vanilla ice cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Ginger root
- Powdered sugar or honey
- Ginger cookies
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 zip baggie
- Vegetable peeler
- Ginger grater
- Medium-size bowl
- 4 serving bowls – about 6 ounce size
- Ice cream scoop
Strawberry Ginger Ice Cream BowlsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Garden fresh strawberries, ginger root, rum and ginger crisps, layered between scoops of classic vanilla ice cream for a yummy and fast summertime dessert.
Vanilla Ice Cream – 10 oz, or flavor of your choice
Fresh strawberries – 1 pint
Ginger root – 1 tbsp, grated
Rum – 3 tbsp
Powdered sugar – 1 tbsp, or honey
Ginger cookies – 1/2 cup, smashed
- Remove 3 plump strawberries from the pint and macerate (crush), in a medium-size bowl, with the back of a fork. Add the grated ginger root, rum and sugar. Whisk and set aside.
- Remove the tops from the the strawberries, saving the largest strawberry to get 4 long slices from, for garnish. Cut the strawberries into bite size pieces and toss them into the ginger/rum liquid. Marinate in the fridge until ready to serve. *See notes.
- Place the cookies in a zip baggie and smash them with a meat tenderizer or the bottom of a small pot. Leave some chunky pieces. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, place a small scoop of ice cream in each bowl, followed by a sprinkle of smashed cookies, a spoon of strawberries, a little drizzle, and then repeat again until the bowl is sufficiently layered with all the goodies. Place a slice of strawberry on top and serve.
- Ice cream is often difficult to scoop, straight out of the freezer, so I find setting the ice cream in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving makes scooping easy.
- As the strawberries marinate in the drizzle mixture, more strawberry juice will extract from the strawberries, providing plenty of drizzle.