Imagine a frozen popsicle of crushed almonds, dates, espresso coffee and chocolate when the afternoon energy level dips. Oh yes, a healthy, delicious kiss of caffeine sounds good to me!
Almond Popsicles Made From Crushed Almonds
If you are an almond milk lover, like I am, and you are kookie enough (also like me), to have started making your own Homemade Almond Milk, you will understand how fabulous this popsicle already is!
Soaking raw almonds in a large bowl of water for an hour, or over night, pureeing the almonds with the water, then straining the liquid/milk, is all there is to making your own almond milk.
The same technique applies for making almond popsicles, only you don’t strain the liquid out, you use both the liquid and the pureed almonds for the milk and the texture.
Espresso Chocolate Afternoon Treats
We all experience a vast dip in our energy level in the late afternoon. It’s what the Brits use ‘Tea Time’ for. A little caffeine, a little nibble and the afternoon gets a boost of energy.
While I like tea time too, I really love my afternoon coffee, and a nibble of chocolate! Only problem, I don’t want a bunch of calories in my afternoon nibbles or pick-me-up treats. So, I created the perfect afternoon popsicle!
Healthy popsicles are what I’m after; especially since I was a little girl in the 50’s and we had only popsicles made of water, sugar and dye. Yuk!
Dates are the perfect sugar to use in sweet treats. It only takes a few, pureed, into whatever you are making and they disappear texturally, and reappear as ‘sweets’!
Every afternoon, throughout the summer, I find myself looking for something icy cold, with just a little kick of caffeine. These Almond Espresso Chocolate Popsicles are it!
More Easy Homemade Popsicles
For more popsicle recipes you are sure to love, including one you will definitely want for ‘all seasons’ cold, flu and allergy season, here you are!
- Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles
- Blueberry and Yogurt Popsicles
- Mocha Latte Popsicles
- Wellness Popsicles – perfect for cold, flu or allergy season
- Garden Lavender and Blueberry Popsicles
- Whole raw almonds
- Espresso or strong coffee
- Cacao powder
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips – optional
- Large bowl with a lid
- Popsicle molds with sticks
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Fork – to drizzle melted chocolate (optional)
- Small sauce pan to melt chocolate (optional)
ALMOND ESPRESSO CHOCOLATE POPSICLESCourse: UncategorizedCuisine: PopsiclesDifficulty: Easy
Healthy popsicles of crushed almonds, dates, espresso coffee and chocolate.
Whole Raw Almonds – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Dates – 5 (pitted)
Espresso – ¼ cup, strongly brewed, cooled
Cacao – 2 tbsp
Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Chocolate chips – ½ cup (optional)
- Place the almonds and pitted dates in a closed container with the water, preferably warm, it speeds up the softening process, for an hour, or overnight.
- After the almonds and dates have soaked, place them into a blender or food processor.
- Add the espresso, cacao, vanilla extract and salt. Puree until liquified.
- Divide the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for at least 6 hours or over night.
- Store in the freezer in the popsicle molds or remove from the mold and store in a zip baggie for quick access!
- *If you are choosing the addition of chocolate, (and why wouldn’t you!) after pops are frozen and removed from their molds, simply melt chocolate chips, and with a fork drizzle quickly across the pops and store in the freezer until already to serve.