Vegan Frozen Strawberry Pie is for those of us in want of healthy fruits and nuts, a hint of sweetness, frozen into a creamy vegan dessert!
Strawberry Desserts To Welcome Spring and Summer
A beautiful spring morning in a field of strawberries, a cool mist settled over the leaves, reminded me of the crystals that form over the top of a frozen summer dessert.
I knew exactly what dessert would be made of my morning basket of strawberries.
After a long cold winter, a strawberry plant beginning to show fruit, gives me hope that spring is close.
For this reason, I keep a few strawberry plants indoors that usually bare fruit a month before the outside patch is in bloom.
When strawberry season arrives, we are suddenly overwhelmed with this scrumptious sweet fruit, and so this frozen strawberry pie was created to enjoy long after strawberry season is over.
Individual Frozen Strawberry Pies
While making a 9-inch pie is what we often do, since I have a large family, I have come to enjoy individual pies instead.
Especially since a large family has varied tastes and diet choices, it is easy to mix and match in small portion size pies.
For a luncheon or tea time size treat, I will usually use the 4-inch springform pans, making for the perfect size to wow a guest.
However, for lots of smaller pies, I have a huge collection of Mason jar lids I use for a smaller size of about 3-inches across and less than an inch high.
Here is how you use them, for both frozen or baked recipes.
It’s A Vegan Dessert But Shhhhh Don’t Tell
It’s vegan. Okay, so what? Well, since this luscious frozen pie doesn’t have dairy or eggs, or even gluten ingredients, it is idea for everyone!
Nuts, dates and hemp seeds make up the crust, while coconut milk and lots of strawberries make up the creamy filling.
Honey or agave is really not needed in this dessert unless your strawberries are not very sweet, or your approach to vegan recipes removes honey.
With each bite, remember those sweet dates are in the crust, so taste the strawberry cream once it’s pureed and see if your strawberries need a little kiss of sweetness.
Healthy Frozen Summertime Desserts
Many decadent swaps can be made from this Frozen Strawberry Dessert. However since spring is ‘pre-bathing suit’ season, I opted for my healthiest strawberry version.
However, this gluten-free, dairy-free, very-little-sugar dessert that satisfies each and every time I make it, can also be made with a variety of other fruits as well!
While a Strawberry Shortcake is certainly the desired dessert around Mother’s Day, since the strawberries just arrived, I am in want of less calories and a healthier option for the rest of the summer.
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri – With or without rum this Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mocktail with lime, is the most refreshing icy drink you will sip, all summer long!
- Strawberry Lemonade Popsicle – with fresh strawberries in homemade lemonade because isn’t THIS Summertime!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream – Creamy sweet strawberry ice cream with the slightly tart addition of rhubarb and ginger makes for a most refreshing ice cream treat!
- Thyme Strawberry Jam – an herbal and strawberry fruit jam, just sweet enough to make it versatile for a variety of sweet or savory uses.
- Farm Fresh Strawberry Tarts – of buttery pastry, cream or coconut milk custard and lots of fresh strawberries, are a delicious way to welcome spring!
Freeze Now Enjoy Frozen Desserts Anytime
I often keep a batch of Mason Jar Lids, already prepared with my date, nut and hemp seed crust so all I need do is take them out and fill them.
They are small and just enough for a sweet tooth.
For a luncheon size dessert I will opt to fill a few individual size spring-form pans with the same crust for an impressive dessert.
As for the easy strawberry filling, slightly sweetened with a very ripe banana, you have a fabulous frozen pie or even just a ‘Nice Cream’ with strawberry.
Freeze a batch now and enjoy all summer.
- Pitted Dates
- Hemp seeds
- Coconut milk
- Agave, honey or date syrup – if you’ve never tried date syrup, it is naturally sweet and deliciousl.
- Food processor or blender
- Removable bottom pans or Mason jar lids – I’ve used these for both cold and baked goods and love them.
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
Vegan Frozen Strawberry Pie
- 4 individual removable bottom pans
- Food processor or blender
- 1 cup Dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup Walnuts or cashews
- 1/4 cup Hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Strawberry Filling
- 2 cups Strawberries sliced
- 1 Banana very ripe
- 12 oz Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Date syrup, Agave, or Honey optional
- Place the crust ingredients in a processor and grind to a chunky paste. Divide crust-paste among the dishes or removable bottom pans. Press firmly on bottom, and about a half-inch up the sides. Place in the fridge to firm while working on the filling.
- Place the strawberries (saving a few for garnish), banana, coconut milk and sweetener (if needed), into a blender or food processor and whirl until creamy and no lumps remain.
- Pour the creamy batter into prepared dishes/pans, lined with crust.
- Place in the freezer for about four hours, or until you are ready to serve. A drizzle of date syrup across the tops, and few slices of fresh fruit on top as a colorful and delicious garnish!