The ancient medicine of oregano has long been used for ‘tummy’ troubles but simmer this holistic medicine with potatoes and coconut oil and you are sure to feel better fast. Learn why!
Do you or a loved one have the flu or tummy troubles from flu season? Or perhaps too much party time last night, leaving you with a hangover today?
This remedy is for you! Why do I know this? Because I’ve been around a long time. An ole Irish pediatrician once told me, “A grandmother can often be your best source of information when caring for a family’s health needs!” And yes, I am now the grandmother he was once talking about.
Natural Health Remedies
As a life-time health guru, long before it was a fashionable ‘thing’, I learned that food items and plants can be your best medicine.
Teas made from various plants, just as various vegetables and fruits have a variety of medicinal properties in them.
Be wise and tuck this tried-and-true remedy away for those times when you or a loved one needs it.
Hangovers and Dehydration
Dehydration is often the cause of headaches, and certainly the drain on a healthy immune system.
Hangovers, in simple terms, are severe dehydration to the body’s fluids. All that alcohol dried everything up!
Sure, you can pop a pill for the symptoms to cease, but that won’t correct what your body is in need of replenishing.
Oregano Potatoes and Dehydration
Dehydration can be the worst silent enemy of cold and flu season. Too much booze the night before, can also be the worst dehydration enemy for the days that follow.
These 5 ingredients (along with a drink you might not like) are all you need. Their health supportive properties were known, since long before you were born.
- Potatoes and Potassium – unusual loss of body fluids (vomiting, diarrhea, constant nose blowing, and alcohol dehydration) can cause low blood potassium, which will lead to several body reactions: muscle cramping, weakness, fatigue that lingers, and other unmentionables. Potatoes, with the skin on, lightly boiled just until they are soft enough to eat (not over cooked), are what you are going to fill a bowl with to put yourself back on the path to recovery.
- Garlic – Effective in killing countless microorganisms, (don’t want those in your gut). Boosting the immune system through their anti-oxidant properties (allicin), not to forget its antiviral and anti-fungal properties is the superpowers of garlic.
- Sea Salt – simply because you are dehydrated, and salt will assist the body to retain fluid, rather than it continuing to wash through your system.
- Fresh Oregano – It is known to be both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and believe it or not, has antibiotic properties. Oregano is known to inhibit the growth of E. Coli. It was an ancient Greek practice, when someone had diarrhea, to boil the leaves, and drink the tea. I keep a pot growing indoors year-round for fabulous tasting food, but also as my medicine!
- Coconut oil – Very simply for its powerful anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. And for goodness sake, Please Do Not put butter (dairy) on this remedy! The last thing your gut needs when it’s angry is any dairy products.
The Drink You Won’t Like?
Fermented, lightly effervescent beverage made from teas and created to cultivate good bacteria for the gut.
Kombucha is considered a non-alcoholic drink that contains vitamins, amino acids and other beneficial health nutrients. While I don’t love the stuff, it is good for tummy troubles.
If I’m to be totally honest though, I’d much rather eat my oregano and potato concoction!
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Oregano
- Coconut oil
- Soup Pot
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Garlic press
- Measuring spoons
Oregano and Potatoes for Health and HangoversCourse: Health HacksCuisine: HealthDifficulty: Easy
Ancient remedies for tummy troubles of potatoes, fresh oregano, garlic, salt and coconut oil.
Potatoes – 4 small or 2 large, unpeeled and cut into cubes
Garlic – 1 raw clove, crushed
Sea Salt – ½ tsp
Fresh Oregano – not dried, 2 tbsp of leaves lightly chopped
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp, in a small cup, place in a larger cup of hot water to melt. Do not melt in microwave or over high heat.
- Simply boil the potatoes about 10 minutes or less. You just want them lightly soft. Remove the potatoes from the water. Pour the melted/softened coconut oil over potatoes. Salt, garlic, and chopped oregano. Toss, and eat.
- If this is for a child, you can cut the proportions in half, but this remedy is most affective when made fresh, and not warmed up. So, portion as your needs require.