Chocolate and bananas were meant for each other, whisk them into a bread with healthy olive oil, spelt and oat flour and you’ve got a secret you will want to share!
Healthy Healthy Healthy!
Yes, I’m a health nut. Have been since I was a teen and that was a longgggg time ago!
Healthy food that still satisfies both hunger and taste are so easy to prepare, if we just focus on ingredients that help rather than hurt.
Recipes for banana bread are about as available as there are recipes for Zucchini Bread!
Zucchini Bread, which I also boast as being the healthier recipe, got that way because of my mindful ingredient choices.
Kefir and rapeseed oil are my contributions to a healthy zucchini bread, that and the use of coconut sugar.
Banana Muffins have been in my family for a long time. Bran, barley flour and olive oil have been the secret ingredients to my healthy banana muffins for my kids.
Muffins have been the way I hide lots of healthy ingredients, both sweet or savory. In fact, I will boast here too that I have the best Muffin Cookbook on the planet!!
Quick Breads or Muffins
Why? Because I raised four children as a single mom. Healthy food was my priority.
Since I had an ‘at home’ business, long before it was a thing, it was easier for me to meet this challenge.
I was able to whip up recipes fast, in between hair clients, and muffins suddenly became more than just a breakfast bite.
What is chocolate anyway? Down to basics, it’s a bean that has been roasted, like a coffee bean, ground into a powder and is bitter.
Chocolate as we know it, like from the store and already made into chocolate, is where chocolate has gotten a bad rap for being unhealthy, or fattening.
Bad chocolate is often that candy bar, or cooking chocolate bar loaded with sugar and fats I’ve never heard of.
Buying chocolate should be a mindful purchase. Select 70% or higher cacao ingredients.
Cooking with chocolate, especially sweet recipes, should always be with raw cacao. Simply the roasted raw bean, ground into a powder. Add your own selections of sugar and fat to it.
Olive oil, coconut oil or butter are way better fats to use in making chocolate than buying the chocolate already made into a bar.
Healthy Sweet Banana Bread
Over ripe bananas are the absolute best what to make a sweet banana bread or cake.
Since the natural sugar levels in the banana continue to rise as they ripen, they are almost sweet enough to leave out sugar.
Sugar, as you will see in this recipe, is barely a scant 1/4 cup. Not much and even that can be substituted with alternative sweeteners.
How To Make Chocolate Banana Bread
- First, we want to whisk the soft, mushy bananas until they become creamy.
- Second, we begin to layer in the wet ingredients.
- Then the dry ingredients gets whisked in.
- Last the bread is ready to bake and once cooled, a drizzle of 70-85% chocolate chips gets melted and a small drizzle goes on top of the bread.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Loaf pan
- Basting brush
- Ripe bananas
- Olive oil
- Oat flour
- Spelt flour
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips – optional
Healthy Chocolate Banana BreadCourse: Bread Muffins u0026amp; CrackersCuisine: HealthyDifficulty: Easy
Raw cacao and overripe bananas whisked into a bread with olive oil, spelt and oat flour makes for a moist and healthy bread.
Overripe bananas – 4
Eggs – 3
Olive oil – 1/4 cup, more for pan
Milk – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Cacao – 1/4 cup
Oat flour – 1 1/2 cups
Spelt flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg – 1 tsp
Chocolate chips – 2 tbsp
- Preheat Oven To 350 and brush olive oil inside the baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the bananas until creamy. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients. Transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until tester comes out clean. about 45 minutes. Cool.
- Once the bread is cool, melt the chocolate chips and with a fork, drizzle across the top of the bread.
- For garnish, I dipped freeze-dried banana chips in the drizzle and placed on top of the bread.
- The bread freezes well, so if you’ve got lots of bananas turning brown, simply double the recipe, bake and freeze. Drizzle can be added once the bread is thawed.