Boiled peanuts, fresh off the farm, simmered into a spicy chili pepper and coconut sauce, served over chicken and a medley of veggies. Definitely Southern With a Twist!
Southern Boiled Peanuts
Have you ever had boiled peanuts? I never had! Apparently, it’s a very southern thing. And so, a friend of mine from ‘Southern With A Twist’ sent me a lovely package of boiled peanuts.
They were so darn delicious that I don’t think I will ever enjoy roasted peanuts the same again. I could see where the texture was more likened to a bean, which makes sense, sink a peanut is considered a legume.
The texture was soft, the flavor gently nutty yet meaty and I knew it would make a great sauce, kind of like a hummus, if I simmered them again with other strong, yet creamy ingredients.
Chicken In Spicy Peanut Sauce
The meal I was about to prepare, was mostly intended to showcase peanuts in their most raw form.
The texture of the peanuts was most likened to navy beans. And so, I decided to make a spicy, creamy sauce to serve with chicken, a medley of veggies and for sure, a southern whiskey!
I made the peanut sauce first, simply by simmering the soft, already boiled peanuts in Thai chili, smoked chilies, lots of garlic and coconut milk.
Once the sauce simmered and reduced down to a thick sauce, I pureed the sauce to use for a variety of dishes, though on this night, I reserved some of the sauce to make a chicken and vegetable dish with brown rice and a shot of southern whiskey.
- Boiled peanuts
- Thai chilies
- Smoked chilies or paprika
- Coconut milk
- Chicken thighs
- Lime juice
- Food process or blender
- Sauté pan with a lid
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Citrus press
- Slotted spoon
- Stovetop or burner
Chicken in Spicy Southern Peanut SauceCourse: Meat, Sauces u0026amp; DressingCuisine: Southern Fusion
Boiled peanuts, fresh off the farm, simmered into a spicy chili pepper and coconut sauce, served over chicken and a medley of veggies.
Boiled peanuts – 2 cups, shelled
Thai chilies – 3 small chilies, diced
Garlic – 3 cloves
Smoked Chilies – 1 tsp (or paprika)
Coconut milk – 1 ½ cups
Chicken and Vegetable Ingredients
Chicken thighs – 2 cups, cubed
Onions – 2 onions, chopped
Carrots – 2 cups, cubed
Lime juice – from 1 lime
Zucchini – 2 cups, cubed
Mushrooms – 2 cups, cubed
Coconut oil – 1 heaping tablespoon
- Sauce – Place the sauce ingredients into a blender or processor and puree until a smooth, thick paste forms. Set aside.
- Chicken and Vegetables – In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil, place the onions in to saute until translucent. Add the chicken, simmer on medium low with a lid until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Pour one cup of the peanut sauce into the hot pan a simmer a moment. Return the chicken to the pan along with carrots, lime juice and cover to soften the carrots.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms, cook uncovered until the veggies are soft, but still firm. Serve with rice; brown, white or wild rice.