Blue Moon Curacao Vodka Cocktail is as unusual as a Blue Moon, with cardamom, coconut milk, vodka and Blue Curacao liqueur, a drink with a story!
The Moon and Cocktails
Blue Moon Curacao Vodka cocktail is the only cocktail to sip on Halloween or when there is a full moon!
Its vibrant sky blue color with sweet yet bitter orange notes topped with an snake-like orange rind garnish conjure up a mood for the occasion.
The refreshing orange flavored liqueur whisked into the velvety texture of coconut milk, makes for the best cocktail to celebrate the occasion of rare moon vibes.
Blue Moon Curacao Vodka Cocktail Created For A Full Moon
A blue moon comes around about every two or three years, ‘Once in a Blue Moon’!
In 2018, when I created this Cocktail, we had two blue moons that year and only two months apart, which also happened to be a lunar eclipse!
Wouldn’t you agree a mixed drink, a Blue Curacao Cocktail, magical in color, needed to be created to mark this occasion?
Full Moon – Supermoon
So what’s the big deal about a full moon?
While you may not be someone who gives any credence to astrology, you probably don’t give a hoot about a full moon.
If you are a doctor, nurse, ambulance affiliate or someone who works in the emergency room on the night of a full moon, you can attest to the bizarre phenomenon.
Oddly, it is busier than a usual night.
More women go into labor (because of barometric pressure), more crime and accidents happen on the night of a full moon.
Furthermore, even crustaceans release their fertile cycle during the full moon! But why?
In the scientific world, it is recognized that the moon plays a big role in affecting tides.
The gravity force of the moon creates more activity in high tides during a full moon.
Since our body is about 60% water, a full moon is bound to shake things up a bit inside our body.
Obviously this led me to the idea that a Blue Curacao Cocktail was the perfect mixed drink to shake, pour and celebrate!
Blue Moon Curacao and Vodka Cocktail
Traditionally, a Curacao liqueur (blue or orange), is used in a mixed drink because of its intense bitter orange flavor, made from the bitter Seville orange.
These oranges have an unusually strong, aromatic scent, making them a particularly potent flavor to extract in the making of liqueurs.
The oil in the peel also acted as a carrier to deepen the flavor once extracted, softened by coconut milk, makes for an unusual cocktail.
Vodka Cocktail For A Blue Moon
There is another reason why I chose Vodka as the other ingredient that would go into this signature mixed drink to celebrate such a memorable occasion; Fertility.
Call me weird, but I love, really love, symbolism.
Let me show you a beautiful symbolism between Blue Moon Curacao Cocktail, the moon, and vodka, ie Potatoes.
Potatoes grow in the ground, unlike the origin of so many other alcohol beverages.
Mixed drinks, beer or wine, often derives from alcohol made from fruits, nuts or plants grown above ground.
The night of a Super Moon cocktail, needed to be made from something whose origin is considered fertile, like the womb!
And so, I am excited to share with you this absolutely fabulous cocktail, a mixed drink you will remember both for its refreshing taste, gorgeous color, and its fertile, sensuous symbolism.
What’s Not To Love About A Delicious Cocktail!
While I am sure you will love the unusual flavors in this Blue Curacao Vodka Cocktail, I believe you will also love some of my other unusual cocktail!
- Warm Autumn Golden Milk Cocktail – Far East meets Middle East in this warm coconut milk, turmeric and Arak or Ouzo cocktail
- Sakura Sip Spring Bride’s Cocktail – Japanese inspired cherry blossom honey, Sumo citrus, Sake and Prosecco
- Pink Peony Colada Cocktail – with homemade peony syrup, rum and coconut milk and of course, ice cubes with peony blossoms inside.
- Brazilian Cachaca Coconut Cocktail – with the pure raw sugar cane Cachaca, coconut milk and toasted coconut.
- Blue Curacao
- Coconut milk
- Cardamom seeds
- Cocktail shaker
- Small pan
- Shot glass
- 2 Serving glasses
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
Blue Moon Curaçao Vodka Cocktail
- Small skillet
- Cocktail shaker
- 2 Cocktail sticks
- 1 shot Blue Curacao 3 tbsp
- 2 shots Vodka 6 tbsp
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk plus 2 tbsp for simple syrup
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3 Cardamom seeds
- Orange rind for garnish
- 1/2 cup Ice
- Simple Syrup, in a small hot pan, lightly toast the seeds, crushing them as they warm. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar across the seeds, stir, and watch closely so as not to burn. Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut milk into the pan and remove quickly from heat. Stir, strain and chill.
- Orange Rind Garnish, peel long strips of an orange rind: 4 inches long x 1/4 inch wide. In a medium warm pan, add remaining sugar to melt, be careful not to burn. Add the strips and shake the pan giving the rind a chance to release a tiny bit of its oil, causing the sugar to stick to it. Cool, then weave a cocktail garnish stick, small kabob stick or appetizer stick in and out of the rind, giving it a snake-like look. Set aside. These can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
- Place ice in a shaker cup. Add vodka, Curacao, spicy simple syrup, and coconut milk. Give a good shake, pour and place a prepared orange rind garnish across the top.