Freshly harvested Fig and Garlic Chive Pizza with zucchini rolls, over ground meat, feta and a drizzle of honey over an Almond crust pizza dough.
Freshly Harvested Figs
This is a unique pizza, you Mediterranean ingredient lovers are sure to love.
A Unique Savory Fig Pizza
Everything about this pizza is unique. There is freshly harvested autumn delights from my garden, a schmear of mascarpone, crumbled feta and honey on top.
Rolled zucchini and sliced fresh figs go on top of caramelized onions and sautéed ground meat, of which I chose lamb.
A scrumptious Mediterranean pizza perfect for an Autumn evening right here in America.
Garlic Chives Pair Beautifully With Figs On A Pizza
Never having grown garlic chives before, I decided to give them a try way back in the springtime.
I planted them, marked them and then forgot about them.
Not much seemed to be going on underground.
Suddenly at the end of summer, they sprouted and grew to be nearly two feet tall!
My son, who is a professional chef was delighted when he saw them in my garden. “You know these are often used in Japanese cooking”?
The flavor is like that of an onion chive only there is also a distinct flavor of garlic too. I had to create this recipe to feature my new chives!
Figs In My Garden
If you watched The Great American Recipe on PBS this past summer, you will know that I was on it and in the finale.
The Fig Finale I created, in case I made it to the end, was a kind of dedication to the abundance of each home I’ve lived in that had a fig tree.
Late August through September I am excited to harvest an abundance of figs. I created this recipe to pair the figs with my garlic chives on top of a delicious Mediterranean influenced pizza.
A Unique Almond Pizza Crust
While you could use any favorite pizza dough to make this pizza, I did create a Unique Almond Crust, with spelt and barley crust to compliment the ingredients here.
Since there is no white flour in this crust, there is more texture in the dough, instead of a bread type crust.
It’s easy to roll out and bakes in under 18-minutes, leaving a bit of a crunch to the edges of the crust.
Figs in my kitchen are all about both the fruit and the leaves.
While there are so many recipes to make with fresh figs, few folks know the beauty of Wrapping Fish in a fig leaf and roasting them.
The aroma is similar to the scent of coconut when the leaves are roasting.
As for the figs themselves, well… a fresh Fig Jam, whether sweet or with chili peppers, is perfect as both a spread or an addition to a sauce.
And speaking of a sauce, why not toss a few roasted beets in the fig sauce and serve them in an Endive Leaf with Fig Dressing!
- Saute pan
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Spreading knife
- Slotted spoon
- Pizza pan – or individual pizza pans, or you can use a baking sheet
- Vegetable peeler
- Rolling pin
- A fork – to drizzle honey
- Unique Almond Pizza Crust Recipe
- Fresh figs
- Olive oil
- Ground lamb – or meat of choice
- Aleppo pepper
- Garlic Chives
Fig and Garlic Chive Pizza
- Pizza pan
- Rolling Pin
- Vegetable peeler or mandolin
- Almond Pizza Crust homemade
- 1 Zucchini
- 12 Fresh Figs
- 1 Onion medium
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 lb Ground lamb
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Garlic Chives chopped
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 lb Feta
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- Preheat oven to 400
- With a vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini into long, thin strips. Roll tightly and set aside.
- Slice the figs in half, lengthwise and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Drizzle the olive oil in a skillet and caramelize the chopped onions with the garlic. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté the ground lamb (or meat of your choice), in the same pan until the pink is gone but don’t over cook. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Roll out the pizza crust and place it in the pizza pan, or individual pizza pans.
- Spread a thin layer of mascarpone onto of the dough. Sprinkle the onion mixture, then the meat mixture. Place the rolled zucchini and sliced figs across the top. Finely chop the garlic chives and sprinkle on top. Crumble the feta followed by a drizzle of honey.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Slice and serve.