DIY Natural Throat Tonic is a homemade concoction of soothing, healing sips of ginger, honey, lemon, mint and a splash of whiskey for adult relief.
Winter colds. Spring Allergies. Throat in need of relief? I’ve got just the thing for you!
There are lots of reasons our throat feels out-of-sorts, and homemade remedies are far more effective than anything you can buy.
Since all the ingredients are fresh and natural they still have much of their natural oils and homeopathic healing properties.
But since the ingredients are natural, this soothing throat tonic will last 2 weeks in the fridge; so make it when you need it and it will be ready to add to a shot of whiskey, or simply a hot tea.
If you’d like to look at other home remedies, here are a few you might want for you or your family:
- Citrus Health Hacks – the vitamins and natural oils in all citrus lend to so many health uses
- Health Hacks For Hangovers – we’ve been there, done that and certainly would welcome relief
Why DIY Natural Throat Tonic?
When our throat is feeling raw, dry and sore, we know it is because other things are out of sorts too.
Often times a bacteria triggers illness in our body. Do you know what the worst thing is for a bacteria? Sugar!
Most of our over-the-counter throat tonics and cough syrups are loaded with sugar; but this DIY natural throat tonic uses honey.
Understanding Why DIY Tonics Are Best
If you’ve made any of my homemade breads, you will understand that sugar is used to grow the bacteria in the yeast that makes bread rise.
In a sort-of similar way, added sugar in the body when an unwanted bacteria is present, is the last thing it needs!
Natural Herbs For Healing Tonics
If we were to take the leaf of an herb, mint, oregano, parsley or other herbs, and rub them between our fingers, we would feel something released from the leaf.
That something, is what is the powerful aspect of the herb for both flavor and medicinal purposes. For this reason, it is wise to keep a few small pots of healing herbs growing in your windowsill, year-round.
- Fresh Ginger
- Fresh Mint leaves
- Whiskey (optional)
- Mason Jar – 8 oz
- Citrus press
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
DIY Natural Throat Tonic
- Lemon – 1 to 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Fresh Ginger – large enough to get 6 to 8 thin slices out of
- Fresh Mint Leaves – 6 to 8 leaves
- Honey – ¼ cup
- Whiskey – (optional) 1 shot per helping
- Mason Jar with air tight lid
- Layer the lemons and ginger slices in the jar, placing a mint leaf between the layers. Pour the honey over the top of the layers.
- Place lid on tight. Give a shake. Place in fridge for at least an hour. Give a shake again, as the juices will all begin to marinate.
- When ready to use, add a shot of tonic and a shot of whiskey in a glass and sip. Or 1 tablespoon of tonic to a cup of hot water to make a tea.