Garden Inspired Beetroot Ice Cream of naturally sweet and earthy beetroots, cooked and pureed, whirled into a creamy, sweet, rich unusual Ice Cream, is unlike any you’ve had!
Beets have been a superfood for such a long time, but many of us are just making the discovery for ourselves. Better late than never!
It’s time they are finding their way into yours hearts, literally.
These fuchsia beauties offer the ability to lower blood pressure, have a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Starting With Raw Beets
Having discovered how easy beets are to grow, once I pulled them out of the ground, ‘recipe creations’ began!
Certainly you are aware of how nourishing beetroot leaves are too?
Well, if not, by all means try those in your summer salads, simply chopped ‘chiffonade’ style and toss them in with a bit of lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil.
Eaten cooked, dehydrated, in the form of beet juice or raw, the possibilities are endless.
Natural sugar producers (the good kind), beets are fabulous in baking.
What? Desserts? Absolutely!
Besides enjoying beetroots pickled, their earthy sweetness makes them delicious in cakes and custards too.
Consequently, that was how this luscious beetroot soft ice cream recipe came about!
Home Grown Garden Inspired Beetroot Recipes
Who knew that growing your own beets could be so easy!
Once I tried my hand at it, I now grow them every year.
The list of savory dishes for beets is endless, though I will share a few with you here, one for sure will be a beet juice cocktail!
Yep, I created that one while drinking Caipirinhas in Brazil.
- Beet and Endive Salad with Fig Dressing – the side dish I made in the finale of The Great American Recipe on PBS.
- Brazilian Health Smoothie – with its raw vegetables and vitamin rich fruits, was popular in Brazil before I ever heard of smoothies here in America.
- Savory Beetroot and Spinach Yeast Bread – is a delicious, healthy, showstopper of beetroot with garlic dough and spinach with lemon dough, braided together.
- Mediterranean Beet Hummus – has all you love in traditional hummus, yet with an earthy sweetness that could make it your favorite!
These are only a few, so search ‘Beets’ at Whisk and Dine and there are plenty more!
Homemade Ice Cream
Homemade ice cream is so easy to make when you have an ice cream machine to do all the work.
Affordably, juust under 100 dollars, churns into a frozen ice cream or sorbet with a flip of a switch.
Simply store the insert container in the freezer, fill it, flip the switch and in 20 minutes ice cream is ready!
Beetroot Ice Cream Recipe
If you are an ice cream lover and willing to try new flavors, I am confident you will love beetroot ice cream.
The beautiful color alone, is reason enough to make ice cream with beets!
That said, this ice cream is ideal for an impressive luncheon dessert.
You can use edible flowers to garnish the ice cream, adding an even greater wow factor to this beautiful ice cream presentation.
How To Make Luscious Colorful Beetroot Ice Cream
Making beetroot ice cream takes a little bit of prep time, as does most homemade ice creams.
Once the ice cream batter is made, which can be done in advance, even a day or so, the rest goes fast.
- Step 1 – Preparing the beets first, can be done in several ways, roasting or boiling.
- Step 2 – Cooled, peeled beets go into the food processor or blender to puree.
- Step 3 – Drizzle a little whole milk into the machine to help the puree process.
- Step 4 – Sugar, remaining milk, pureed beets and egg yolks are whisked in a saucepan until the temperature reads 160 degrees.
- Step 5 – Vanilla and cream are added.
- Step 6 – The batter is chilled in the fridge for an hour or overnight, poured into the prepared ice cream maker. In 20-minutes you have Beetroot Ice Cream!
- Vegetable peeler
- Food processor or blender
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Ice cream maker
- Cupcake papers (optional)
- Whole milk
- Egg yolks
- Whole cream
- Vanilla extract
- *Full cream Coconut can substitute the dairy products here
Garden Inspired Beetroot Ice Cream
- 2 Saucepans
- Ice cream machine
- 1/2 cups Raw Beets about 2 medium
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Whole milk
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Peel and cut the beets into small pieces. Place in a small saucepan, over low heat, a tbsp of water. Simmer for about 20-minutes. Cool completely.
- In a food processor, puree the soft cooked beets along with all the beetroot juice and 1/2 cup of the whole milk. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, on medium/low, whisk the sugar, remaining milk and egg yolks until the sugar dissolves. Add the pureed beets, pouring through a fine sieve, and simmer, stirring constantly, until the thermometer registers 160. Remove from the stove.
- Place the cream into a pourable container (that will hold at least 4 cups), add the simmered beet mixture, whisk in the vanilla, cover and chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- Pour the chilled cream mixture into the prepared/frozen ice cream maker (following the manufacturer's instructions), and churn for about 20-minutes. Serve, or scoop out into cupcake papers and freeze in an airtight container.
- Roasting beets in their skin, in a small baking dish with just a little bit of water on the bottom of the pot, lid on, for 50 minutes, is another way to precook the beets instead of boiling.
- Scooping the ice cream into cupcake papers, set in a muffin tin and freezing, makes it easier to serve the ice cream at another time. Once the ice cream is frozen, transfer the individual servings into an airtight container and store in the freezer.