Busy lives need healthy snacks that are easy to make ahead and take with you. These spinach soufflé’s muffins are one of my favorite to-go meals when I travel by plane and want something healthy to eat on my journey. Oh, if only you could see the look of envy on the faces of the other passengers!
This recipe is both gluten-free and dairy-free but by all means throw in some cheese if you would like a little dairy, otherwise these muffins are plenty flavor filled without cheese.
Ingredients – Makes 4 large or 6 medium
- Spinach – 1 pound, washed and dried
- Lime or Lemon – 1 tablespoon
- Eggs – 3, separated yolks from whites
- Cashews – 1 1/2 cups, ground
- Rice flour – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Optional seasonings – 1 teaspoon, Kelp flakes, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Preparation – Preheats oven to 375
- In a pan on medium heat place the citrus juice and spinach, cover and steam quickly, about 1 minute. Remove and cool.
- While spinach cools, whip the egg whites and set aside.
- Place spinach in food processor or blender and puree. Add yolks, cashews, rice flour, salt, baking powder, seasonings and pulse to mix well.
- Add whipped egg whites and pulse a few quick times or gently fold in.
- In cupcake paper lined muffin tins, fill cups half full with batter. Bake about 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.