Have you caught it yet? Hope not, but if you have or when you do you will want this hot soup created just for cold and flu season ( though yummy any time!). Let’s make this and get you feeling better fast!
Turkey (not chicken since chicken messes with antigens). Mushrooms, as many and varied as you can, (great for inflammation and digestion). As many chili peppers as you can tolerate to clear the nasal passages. Lemon, onion, garlic, kale and thyme (all for specific purposes not just flavor, especially thyme, an antibacterial and calms spasmodic coughing.
- Turkey Thighs – 2
- Onions – 3, chopped
- Garlic – an entire bulb, peeled and separated and chopped
- Mushrooms – a huge bundle, about 4 cups chopped
- Fresh Chili peppers – as many as you can tolerate, chopped
- Thyme – a bundle, tied together or in cheese cloth
- Kale – a bundle, de-veined and rough chopped, about 6 cups
- Lemon – juice from 2 lemons
- Salt – 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
In a large pot (remember you will eat on this for several days and can also freeze some to give to a friend when it’s their turn 🙁 Place olive oil in a heated pot and sear both sides of turkey thigh, sprinkled with a little salt. Toss in onion, garlic and chili peppers, stir and sweat the onions. Add enough water to come half way up the pot, add remaining salt, lemon, thyme, mushrooms, cover and simmer on medium low for an hour.
Remove turkey from the pot, cool enough to handle and chop into bite size chunks. Return to the pot, add kale, cover and simmer just until kale looks wilted. Don’t over cook the kale.
Soup is ready! Feel better!!