Strawberry season is finally here and I will indulge, once again, in a favorite salad that marries the beautiful sweet and savory flavors on one plate!
Can you believe I planned for this way back in February, when I planted some lettuce seeds in a few indoor pots? AND THEY GREW!! I even planted the bottoms of celery in some dirt and they grew too. Celery leaves make for a refreshing green, because of their more definite flavor, when mixed with the delicate flavor of lettuce.
And so, for a lovely luncheon for two, I assembled my sweet strawberries on top of my greens, a wedge or two of orange and a dense sheep milk cheese. A simple dressing of lemon and oil is a good go-to choice or you can elevate this salad with my homemade Strawberry-Vinaigrette! And while you’re at it, whip up a Strawberry Daiquiri, virgin or not! YUM!
Ingredients – 2 salads
- Lettuce leaves – 2 cups, delicate leaves such as bib
- Celery leaves – 1/2 cup, whole leaves not chopped
- Strawberries – 1 cup, sliced in quarters lengthwise
- Orange – 2 thin wedges per plate
- Cheese – Sheep or goat, 2-3 chunks per plate
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing – 2 tablespoons, or 1 tablespoon each of Olive oil and lemon juice, mixed
- Salt – to taste
Lay the leaves gently on a plate. Place strawberries, oranges and whole chunks of cheese on top of the leaves. Gently drizzle dressing across the salad and serve.