I am a bit of a health nut, but I also have a large family that likes everyday food to look and taste like gourmet food. My approach to food is likened to that of a runway model: I want it to be the center of attention, and certainly be spotted in a crowd!
I created this recipe out of the desire to both showcase its brilliant colors and flavors, yet be easy to prep early in the day so it is ready to pop in the oven while I am enjoying the most important aspect of dining: my family and friends.
Baked, colorful, healthy, squash with tomatoes and grated cheese, will have you thinking this Zucchini Pinwheel is a pizza, but instead it’s a bowl of veggies! These flavors dress well together and are certain to attract attention.
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Medium Yellow Squash
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Pecorino Cheese
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350
- Brush a little olive oil into two 6-ounce individual baking dishes
- Slice the squash very thin into round coin shapes, preferably with a mandoline slicer
- Slice the squash again, in half, into half-moon shapes
- Slice cherry tomatoes into ¼ inch slices
- Chiffonade cut the basil (roll a bundle of basil into a tight cigar and slice very thin)
- Arrange the squash, tightly, in a circle inside the dish, alternating the colors into the appearance of a pinwheel
- Place half of the sliced tomatoes in the center of the squash
- Drizzle olive oil over vegetables
- Season with salt and pepper
- Sprinkle cheese heavily across and in between the slices
- Sprinkle with basil
- Bake for 20 minutes
All dressed up, and ready to dine!
Or… stuff a pepper or tomato exactly the same. Look at you, aren’t YOU fancy!