Lemonade Season is finally here, and oh the cocktails you can make with homemade lemonade!! My niece Lauren Upton is an event planner for Ken’s Creative Kitchen, in Annapolis MD. This catering company has been wining and dining beautiful brides, prominent politicians, a prince or two, and lots of Hollywood names that often find their way to the nation’s capital and its surrounding waterways, for forty years.
One summer, Lauren created her own signature cocktail, the LuLu Lemon, named after herself. It is crisp, refreshing, not sweet, unless your lemonade is way too sweet. (I suggest making your own.) This is a cocktail you will enjoy sipping all summer long.
It’s just this simple:
- Ice – half glass of ice
- Vodka – 2 shots
- Lemonade – ½ cup
- Champagne or Prosecco – ¼ cup (approx.)
- Lemon slice and Mint sprig for garnish
- Fill glass half full, with ice
- Add vodka
- Pour lemonade
- Top it off gently with champagne
- Add garnish
Store bought lemonade can work in a pinch, but if you are like me, and love the fresh, tart flavor of homemade lemonade, this recipe couldn’t be easier.
Yields 2 cups
- Lemons – ½ cup freshly squeezed (about 3 lemons)
- Sugar – ½ cup (or your preferred sugar substitute)
- Water – ½ cup (for simple syrup) plus more to top it off
- Mint – ½ up fresh mint leaves
- Bring sugar and ½ cup water to a simmer, add mint leaves, and simmer just long enough to dissolve the sugar
- Turn it off and let it cool completely, allowing the mint essence to add to the flavor
- Strain syrup, add lemon juice, and enough water to make 2 cups of finished lemonade
Ready to sip as is, add to a favorite cocktail, or simply pour a little over ice and top it off with sparkling water!
SUMMER IS HERE!