Dogs are such an important part of families. They now enjoy many aspects of our human life. How bout those Dog Cameras for the owners to check in on them from time to time! But what about their food? We are what we eat, and so it is with our pets as well.
With a little meal-prep time, perhaps once a week, your dog can enjoy healthy, nourishing, food that you prepared with love. And like many things we make at home, the cost will be much less than packaged dog food.
Makes about 20 cups of Low Carb Food. One big pot for a medium to large dog eating twice per day, lasts about a week.
First, soak beans overnight in a large pot:
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup green split peas
Then drain and add back to pot
- 2 cups barley
- 5 cups water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz. can)
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- 1/3 lb. ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 lb. frozen broccoli or cauliflower
- 1/3 lb. frozen carrots
- 1/3 lb. frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- Big handful chopped fresh kale or spinach (or ½ frozen box)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon kelp
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- Few spoons of beef broth/stock (optional)
- Sprinkle of sea salt
Mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 40 minutes until water is absorbed and meat is cooked. A hand mixer or Immersion Blender will puree the food while in the pot and as it cools the mixture thickens.
Place in one large container and store in the fridge. Scoop out as needed. Can be portioned into smaller containers or even frozen, if your pup is little and can’t eat all of this in one week.
My daughter has a great bowl for feeding her pup so that he doesn’t inhale his food. The bowl causes him to eat slower and can enjoy his meal time longer. I will attach a link to this brilliant bowl below!
* Having the right tools and ingredients at your fingertips, takes much of the work out of cooking. For your convenience Whisk and Dine has done a little shopping for you. Think of us as your personal shopper (wink). The best products for the most reasonable price!
This Hand Immersion Blender is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. It will puree food while in the pot so you don’t have to do it in batches in the blender, and it’s under 20 bucks!
What a brilliant concept for encouraging your dogs to eat slower, enjoy their food and give their body time to digest their food.
Just in case you need a few containers!
Home Dog Camera. Let pup know you will be home soon!