Do you or a loved one have the flu? Do you have tummy troubles from flu season? Or perhaps too much party time last night, i.e. HUNGOVER? THIS remedy is for you! Why do I know this? Because I have been around a long time. An ole Irish pediatrician once told me, “A grandmother can often be your best source of information when caring for a family’s health needs!” And yes, I am a grandmother, and a life time health guru, long before it was fashionable! Food can be your best medicine, so love yourself enough to tuck this practice away for those times when you need it.
Dehydration can be the worst silent enemy of cold and flu season, not to forgetting to mention, too much booze the night before. Dehydration is often the cause of headaches, and certainly the drain on a healthy immune system. Sure, you can pop a pill for the symptoms, but that won’t correct what your body is asking you for.
These 5 ingredients (along with a drink you might not like) are all you need, and their supportive properties are known, since long before you were born.
- Potatoes – 4 small or 2 large, unpeeled and cut into cubes
- Garlic – 1 raw clove, crushed
- Sea Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh Oregano – not dried, 2 tablespoons of leaves lightly chopped
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon, in a small cup, place in a larger cup of hot water to melt. Do not melt in microwave or over high heat.
- Potatoes and Potassium – unusual loss of body fluids (vomiting, diarrhea, constant nose blowing, and alcohol dehydration) can cause low blood potassium, which will lead to several body reactions: muscle cramping, weakness, fatigue that lingers, and other unmentionables. Potatoes, with the skin on, lightly boiled just until they are soft enough to eat (not over cooked), are what you are going to fill a bowl with to put yourself back on the path to recovery.
- Garlic – Effective in killing countless microorganisms, (don’t want those in your gut). Boosting immune system through their anti-oxidant properties (allicin), not to forget its antiviral and antifungal properties.
- Sea Salt – simply because you are dehydrated, and salt will assist the body to retain fluid, rather than it continuing to wash through your system.
- FRESH OREGANO – It is known to be both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and believe it or not, has antibiotic properties. Oregano is known to inhibit the growth of E. Coli. It was an ancient Greek practice, when someone had diarrhea, to boil the leaves, and drink the tea. I keep a pot growing indoors year-round for fabulous tasting food, but also as my medicine!
- Coconut oil – Very simply for its powerful anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. And for goodness sake, Please Do Not put butter (dairy) on this remedy! The last thing your gut needs when it is angry, is any dairy products.
Simply boil the potatoes about 10 minutes or less. You just want them lightly soft. Pour the melted/softened coconut oil over potatoes. Salt, garlic, and chopped oregano. Toss, and eat.
If this is for a child, you can cut the proportions in half, but this remedy is most affective when made fresh, and not warmed up. So, portion as your needs require.
Oh, and that DRINK? Kombucha! Its live probiotics and organic acids are another comfort to a troubled tummy. Never forget that a huge contribution of your immune system, lives in your gut. Brewing this sparkling, health supportive drink, is a story for another day, but for now, while you are in need of a quick tummy fix, buy a few bottles, preferably ginger, and tuck them in your fridge for times just as these. Feel Better!
# Kitchen Helper: Having the right tools and ingredients at your fingertips takes much of the work out of cooking. For your convenience Whisk and Dine has done a little shopping for you. Think of us as your personal shopper (wink). The best product for the most reasonable price!
A favorite Coconut Oil for cooking, and beauty care!
A great buy for all your Sea Salt needs! 2 lbs!! I keep small amounts in an easy to use container called a salt pig!
My all time favorite Salt Pig! The lid slides shut, keeping the salt protected. Many salt pigs are open, without lids. I just love this one!
The drink you will soon call your ‘best friend’ for keeping your tummy health in Great Shape! Kombucha