Sometimes we just want to eat clean, light, and healthy. This is often true after we have over indulged in great food, drink, and celebration. A hot bowl of this Ginger Carrot Red Lentil Soup is the perfect solution for times such as this, particularly during cold and flu season. Load up on some delicious Beta Carotene in the form of carrots, turmeric, and red lentils, and have a heaping helping of fresh ginger for all those tummy bugs that love to invade us in the winter.
I have a secret ingredient I like to use when making a vegan or vegetarian broth. Very simply, black tea. It adds a deeper layer of flavor to a vegetable based broth.
This soup is fast and easy. Under an hour from start to finish. Also a perfect meal-prep recipe to have on hand when there is no time to cook. Stores for several days in the fridge or freezes for several months!
Serves 6 – 8 bowls
- Carrots – 3 – 4 cups chopped
- Onion – 1 large onion, chopped
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Red lentils – 1 cup dried lentils
- Ginger* – 2 heaping tablespoons of freshly grated
- Turmeric* – 1 heaping tablespoon of freshly grated
- Lemon juice – 1 whole lemon or the equivalent
- Coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1 tablespoon
- Mace, Nutmeg, or Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable broth – 8 cups (give or take)
- Black tea – 1 teabag
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Honey – 1 heaping tablespoon
- Optional toppings – smoked pepper flakes, chili pepper flakes, toasted nuts, or for your ‘need-to-eat-meat’ folks, a handful of bacon on the top
Olive oil in a pot. Add onions to saute for a few minutes. Layer in all the ingredients, adding broth last. Cover, bring to a boil, lower, and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover, remove tea bag, add honey, stir, and puree in batches in a blender, processor, even a hand mixer will do the job.
*Ginger and Turmeric are always best used freshly grated. Treat yourself, and buy several roots, peel, chop, and freeze in long logs. When time to use them, simply cut off a piece, and you have all the health and taste benefits at your disposal.
Delicious AND Nutritious