Doesn’t everyone have a favorite recipe for a Zucchini Bread? Well, here is mine. And yes, I will boast that mine is probably healthier than the recipe you’ve got tucked away somewhere. Tastier too!
Rapeseed Oil, and Kefir are my two magical ingredients. Let’s chat a bit about those two.
– Rapeseed Oil – Made from a flower, from the rapeseed fields of England, when it is cold pressed, it is lowest in saturated fats, rich in vitamin E and Omega 3 and 6, and has a higher smoke point than our beloved olive oil. If you thought Canola oil was rapeseed oil, think again. Canola oil has been processed in such a way as to make it cheap. Processed under high heat, with chemicals, making canola oil an oil you will never find in my pantry. Rapeseed oil is now easily purchased on-line.
Rape Fields of England
– Kefir – A milk product, (my preference is with goat or sheep milk) which packs a higher punch in the nutrition department, than yogurt; at about three times the amount of probiotics, which makes it one of your tummy’s best friends!
When baking, I try to incorporate the most nutritional ingredients, simply by swapping the more well-known ingredients (such as butter or low-fat milk) with these.
ZUCCHINI BREAD INGREDIENTS: Makes 2 small loaves or 1 large
– Eggs – 4
– Sugar – 1 ½ cup (preferable unrefined sugar, coconut, or date sugar)
– Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil – ½ cup, or your favorite oil
– Kefir – 1 cup
– Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
– Lemon zest – a pinch for the bread and more for garnish
– Grated Zucchini – 2 cups
– Flour – 3 ½ cups
– Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
– Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
– Salt – 1 teaspoon
Mix the wet ingredients together with sugar and lemon zest. Add the zucchini, and slowly incorporate the dry ingredients.
In prepared baking pans, (oiled and floured) pour the batter and bake at: 350 until tester comes out clean. About 45 – 60 minutes, depending on the pans you use. Cool while you make the Glaze
– Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cups sifted
– Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Mix these ingredients well, and drizzle across the top of the baked bread. Garnish with a bit of lemon zest.
Healthy, Delicious, and keeps a week in the fridge!