The onset of summer stimulates the taste buds for lots of frozen desserts!
A beautiful spring morning in a field of strawberries, a cool mist settled over the leaves, and reminded me of the crystals that form over the top of a frozen summer dessert. I knew exactly what dessert would be made of my morning basket of strawberries.
Many decadent swaps can be made from this Frozen Strawberry Dessert, but today, while still in “pre-bathing suit” season, I opted for my favorite gluten-free, dairy-free, very little sugar dessert that satisfies each, and every time I make it… regardless which fruit I use in it!
The crust is a simple date, nut, and hempseed puree, that is easily pressed into tart pans, or mason jar lids.
Yields 4 servings
- Dates – 1 cup pitted and chopped
- Walnuts – 1 cup
- Hemp – ¼ cup
- Cinnamon – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
Put all ingredients in a processor and grind to a chunky paste. Divide crust-paste among the dishes or pans. Press firmly on bottom, and about a half inch up the sides. Place in fridge to firm while working on filling.
Strawberry Cream Ingredient
- Strawberries – 2 cups, that have been washed, diced and popped into the freezer for an hour. (Any juicy fruit can be substituted)
- Banana – just one banana for a creamy texture – diced and popped into the freezer for an hour
- Sweet Coconut Milk – 12 ounces of coconut milk, with ½ cup sugar dissolved over low heat, then cooled
- Date syrup, Agave, or Honey – ¼ cup
Place these ingredients into a blender or food processor and whirl until creamy and no lumps remain. Pour the creamy batter into prepared tart tins, lined with crust.
Place in the freezer for about two hours, or until you are ready to serve. A few slices of fresh fruit on top as a colorful and delicious garnish!