There are eggs, and then there are EGGS! I was excited to be given the opportunity to obtain turkey eggs from a small local farm. I found the eggs even more impressive than my favorite duck eggs, and when I discovered a double yolk inside one of my eggs, I knew it was the perfect richness for a classic soufflé.
I can’t think of any meal I enjoy more, than a cheese-egg soufflé with a lovely side of asparagus. It is rich, simple, and yet elegant. Come join me in my kitchen while I show you just how fast and easy a soufflé is to prepare.
Two important notes: Eggs should be room temperature, and a soufflé should be served right out of the oven.
Serves 2 large or 4 small
- Eggs – 3 large turkey eggs, duck eggs, or 5 chicken eggs
- Milk – 1 cup of whole milk
- Butter – 2 tablespoons for roux and 1 tablespoon to prepare baking dish
- Flour – 2 tablespoons
- Cheese – 4 ounces of grated cheese for soufflé, plus 1 tablespoon to prepare baking dish
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic – 1 small clove, crushed
- Dried Sage – ½ teaspoon
- White Pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
Preheat oven to 400
- Separate whites from yolks.
- Place milk in a sauce pan to steam it but not boil it.
- Make the roux. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes to create a nice nutty flavor to the flour. Slowly add hot milk to roux. Hand whip until it thickens. Let is sit with stove off for a few minutes.
- Slowly add one yolk at a time, stirring all the while. Turn stove back on, stir and cook for a few minutes until the yolk mixture thickens. Cool completely.
- While the soufflé base is cooling (yolk mixture) prepare the baking dishes, by brushing melted butter on sides and bottom of the dish. Sprinkle a little cheese on bottom and sides of the dish.
- Now whip your egg whites until they form a peak.
- Add salt, garlic, sage, and pepper to cooled yolk mixture. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites, little at a time. Add grated cheese while folding in the yolk mixture. Transfer soufflé mixture to prepared baking pans. Pop in the oven and immediately turn oven down to 375!
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes until the soufflé rises proud and tall!