Appetizers are often my favorite, though time consuming, aspects of a meal. And truth be known, I would almost prefer a table of interesting appetizers than a full meal. Pick and choose as you like, or eat lots of one thing and less of something else. A yummy way to eat!
These Cashew Cheese & Anchovy Tarts are fast and easy to assemble.
Ingredients for tarts
– Mini Tart shells – found in the freezer section
– Olive oil – for brushing on tart shells
– Anchovies – One per tart, as many as you plan to prepare
– Micro greens for garnish – or any leaf of your choice
Ingredients for Cashew Cheese
Yields 2 cups of cheese paste
– 2 cups raw cashew, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
– 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
– ¼ teaspoon white pepper
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
– 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
– 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
– ¼ cup water
Place all the cashew cheese ingredients in a blender and puree into a paste. Chill.
Place tart shells on a baking sheet (preferably with parchment paper under). Brush a little olive oil on tart shells. Bake in a 350 oven for about 5 minutes, just to turn golden. But watch them because they can go from golden to burnt quickly. Let the tarts shells cool 5 minutes.
Place a dollop of cheese in each tart shell. Stand the anchovy into the cheese, tail up, (trimming some of the head end if necessary to adjust their height). Garnish with a micro-green leaf.
Beautiful. Delicious. Whimsical!