HOT… SWEET… CHOCOLATE!
What more is there to say, other than YUM!
This chocolate cake/cup-cake recipe is my all time favorite. It is moist, rich in flavor, and with the right amount of heat to be memorable. The addition of coffee adds a moistness from the oils in coffee while creating an even deeper richness of flavors to the raw cacao chocolate and exotic spices.
Preparing the Secret ingredient, “The Pepper Syrup”, ahead of time and keeping plenty in the fridge will make cake baking day all the faster.
Pepper Syrup Ingredients
– Cayenne Peppers – 1 or 2, (other hot chili peppers work as well)
– Sugar – 1 cup
– Water – 1 ½ cups
Simmer these ingredients for about 20 minutes. Cool, and store in a sealed container in fridge. Strain when ready to use.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
This recipe is for 2 dozen regular size cupcakes, 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes, or an 18-inch cake. (Recipe can be easily cut in half for less cupcakes or a 9 inch/ 2-layer cake.)
– Eggs – 4
– Sugar – 2 cups light, and 2 cups dark (4 all together)
– Milk – 2 cups (whole milk)
– Oil – 1 cup sunflower oil
– Pepper syrup – ½ cup
Mix these wet ingredients together.
– Cacao – 1 ½ cups
– Flour – 3 ½ cups
– Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
– Baking soda – 1 tablespoon
– Salt – 2 teaspoons
– Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
– Allspice – 1 teaspoon
Mix these dry ingredients, and then add the wet ingredient mix. Batter will be thick.
– Hot Coffee – 1 ¾ cups of very hot coffee
Coffee. Slowly pour coffee while mixing. Batter will thin, and any lumps with smooth out. Fill prepared cupcake tins, or cake pans. (For cupcakes, use papers. For cake, spray non-stick oil on bottom and sides of pan, lightly dust with flour, and then tap out excess flour.)
Bake at 350 until tester comes out clean. (about 25-35 for cupcakes, and 45-55 for cake)
Cool Completely and then lather the icing on.
– Butter – 2 sticks room temperature
– Cacao – 1 ½ cups
– Powdered Sugar – 4-5 cups (depending on desired thickness)
– Melted Dark Chocolate 8 oz (70% or more cacao) cooled slightly
– Pepper Syrup – ½ cup
– Cream – ½ cup to ¾ cup of whipping cream
Whip all ingredients together, taking care to slowly pour melted chocolate to the mixture, and add only enough cream until desired consistency is obtained.