Would you consider lentils to be a perfectly delicious substitute for meat? You might after trying them prepared this way!
In a salad, lentils give a flavorful, hearty, and satisfying addition to an “all-vegetable” salad.
Cooking lentils with a few strips of meat in the broth is the secret to giving them that “meat satisfied” flavor, even though I remove the meat before serving. If a vegetarian approach is what you are after, simply toss some Thai chili paste in the water along with several garlic cloves. Very satisfying, as well.
Below you will find the ingredients, and preparation for both the lentils, and the tahini dressing. The vegetables you choose to put on the plate can be absolutely anything you love, or have in your fridge.
– French Lentils – (dry) 1 cup
– Garlic – 1 clove sliced thin
– Salami – (or any fatty cold cut) 4 slices thinly sliced
– Smoked Salt – (or regular, but smoked has a rich flavor) 2 teaspoons
– Pepper – ½ teaspoon
– Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
– Water – (or broth, but the flavors above are all you really need) 3 cups
Place all ingredients in a pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until soft, but not mushy. About 45 minutes.
Tahini Dressing Ingredients
– Lemon – 1 large, or 2 small, juiced
– Garlic – 1 clove crushed
– Tahini – 1 tablespoon
– Olive Oil – ¼ cup
– Salt – 1 teaspoon
– Za’atar – 1 teaspoon (recipe in our collection)
Place all ingredients in blender, or simply whisk vigorously. Pour over individual salads at the table. Keeps in fridge. Let is get room temperature before serving. Whisk again and ENJOY!