Who would have thought that banana muffins could become a fast, easy way to slip in a little nourishing ingredients for the family. With barley, olive oil, cardamom, and yogurt, this recipe does! The flavor is slightly tangy, yet sweet, but the addition of barley flour, mixed with wheat flour, gives this muffin a delightfully creamy texture in a way that wheat alone doesn’t.
- Bananas – 2 very ripe
- Eggs – 2
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Olive Oil or Melted Butter – ½ cup
- Yogurt – ½ cup plain
Mash bananas, or put in blender. Add next four ingredients. Mix well.
- Gluten-free flour – 1 1/2 cups, or mix rice flour and flax meal to make up 1 1/2 cups
- Barley Flour, Oat Flour or Coconut Flour – ½ cup (optional, otherwise use regular wheat)
- Cardamom – 2 teaspoons (Ginger can substitute)
- Baking Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Baking Soda – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
Mix dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix well, but do not over mix. Place batter into muffin tin, ¾ full.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Delicious room temperature. Stores in refrigerator for several days.