Have you ever been to a Greek restaurant and found the thing you love most on the menu is the thing you are sure you could never make at home?
SPANAKOPITA! We, are going to use store bought tart shells that you can find in your freezer section to make this dish easy, or we will simply make a muffin from the same ingredients that goes into the filling. It’s so simple. Let’s do it!!
Yields: 12 large or 24 small
- Spinach – 1 lb. wilted in steam, drained, and pureed
- Onion – 1 cup, chopped small, sautéed in olive oil
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon to sauté onions
- Lemon – 2 tablespoons juice, 1 teaspoon of zest
- Garlic – 1 clove pressed
- Eggs – 2 for tart shells, 3 for muffins
- Oregano – 1 teaspoon chopped fine, fresh is best
- Feta – 1 cup chopped into small pieces
- Tart Shells – 12/24 (depending on size)
Puree wilted spinach, sautéed onions, garlic, oregano, lemon juice/zest, and eggs. Place a dollop of filling into tart shells. Place a tiny square of feta on top each filled tart shell.
Bake – 325 – Until golden shells, and firm to the touch of the filling. About 15 minutes.
- All the same ingredients and procedure as above, (Minus the tart shells.)
- Eggs – Add an extra egg to the above mix if making only muffins. (Total of 3)
- Flour – 2 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Baking Soda – ½ teaspoon
Mix ingredients together, saving a small square of Feta to place on top of muffins before baking.
Bake – 350 – Until top is slightly golden and toothpick comes out clean. About 25 minutes.